My progress towards my game plan is going pretty smoothly. I have done lots and lots of research for my resources and have gotten some great ideas that I think will be beneficial for my students. My school just had a professional development opportunity to give us some ideas on technology lessons and lessons that will increase student engagement. I also have book marked some ideas that will be helpful and will make learning more fun. Also I have collaborated with some of the more experienced teachers to find out what has worked for them and what has not. I have also spoken to some of the more technically savvy teachers that have helped me gain some insight of what types of resources that I can use in the classroom.
Some things that I have learned is that in order to have a successful lesson, the teacher must do hours and hours of research and collaborate with other teachers. The lesson needs to be worthwhile and must be one in which the students "think outside of the box". Lessons need to improve the students critical thinking skills. In order to do this, technology needs to be introduced in the classroom and give them the opportunity to be a better learner.
The best thing about taking so long on lesson plans is that once you have a winner, you will always have a winner! I have used lesson plans that I developed 7 years ago. They are still relevant and still get the students thinking and motivated. However, I have also thrown out plenty of lesson plans, too. Teachers as learners I guess...
ReplyDeleteI suspect that what you said about spending hours and hours locating resources is why so many teachers steer clear of technology. Maybe a better way, especially if you already have a bank of good lessons, is to think about recreating those same lesson plans but incorporating technology which simply improves them. Our state curriculum has suggested activities and I simply find ways to expand the learning rather than recreating the horse.
ReplyDeleteIn any event, kudos that you are so dedicated.
Response to Brandon,
ReplyDeleteYou school sounds nice in that they want to implement technology into the classroom! What ideas did the professional development give you? What was your school's response? So, you will not be able to do technology unless your students are "thinking outside the box." Did they give you any ideas on how to "teach" technology while maintaining your content area?
Jennifer
Brandon
ReplyDeleteThat is great that your school provides you guys with PD regarding technology. Our district seems so behind compared to others (like yours). What are some of the ideas you learned from other? Did they differ with some of the things we learn here?
I also agree with you about today's student-- specifically the last few years-- having a hard time thinking outside the box. I have actually posted that in our discussions and received harsh criticism of my assessment of today's student so I stopped posting that, but I do agree with you. I really honestly think a big part of the problem is today's student is lazy.
Ken